Sunday, July 6, 2008

We didn't go to the orphanage this morning because it was pouring down rain. We've been taking the bus so we would have had a long walk in the rain. We just hung out at the flat and went to the supermarket once it stopped raining. We bought a couple of bottles for John Paul. Then we went to the orphanage this afternoon. They weren't going to let us see either child because they said that they had fevers and were sick. We had our facilitator talk to the doctor on the phone. It turned out that neither of our children have fevers, but some of the other children did. So they let us spend time with JP and Dasha, but only about an hour.

Dasha dug through my bag and found her sippy cup. She wasn't strong enough to get it out. So I got it out and placed her little hands on it. I just wanted to see if she would hold it and she did. She can barely sit up on her own, but she sat there and held that entire sippy cup full of juice until she drank every last drop. She has to be dehydrated because every day she drinks like this. She barely stops drinking long enough to breathe. So I know that JP is probably thirsty too. We tried the bottle today, but he slapped it away and started to fuss. I just sat it down on the couch that we were all sitting on. They wouldn't let us take them outside today. He picked it up later and looked at it. But then he threw it back down.

Our facilitator will be here in the morning. She is going to court first thing to get a court date set. Then we are all going to the orphanage. She's going to ask them to let me observe him eating. I mentioned on one of my first posts about JP ,since arriving this time to see him, that he looked like he has lost weight. I'm really wondering if he is just having feeding issues in general right now. I'm wondering if that is why the caretaker said that DS children don't drink much liquid. Maybe she was just thinking of him. Maybe it has something to do with his cold. I know when I am sick I don't feel like eating. Especially if I am congested and can't taste it. I'm so scared of bringing him home and not being able to get him to eat or drink anything once I get him here. I had really hoped that he would drink from the bottle today. And it's scary too because I can't help but wonder if there is some underlying medical reason why he does not appear to have an appetite. Plus he has apparently had the same cold for at least a month. I know that his nutrition is terrible and I'm sure his immune system is low from that. They told us today that many of the other children in their group have fevers. Real healthy situation.

Hopefully we will be allowed to observe him eat tomorrow and learn more about his habits. I'm so ready to come home, but it is good that I am staying during the ten day wait after court because I'm going to need that extra time with him. Please pray that he will at least drink for me by the time that we leave.

8 comments:

Bethany said...

I meant to post this the other day, but do you think he could have reflux? Maybe he is hurting down in there. My daughter is a silent refluxer, so just know that he doesn't have to be spitting up to be refluxing. That could be a very real reason for him to not be wanting to eat or drink anything. I wish you could give him some prevacid right now to see if it helps! Ugh.

kristynewb said...

Thank you for mentioning that. I did not think of that because he had not been spitting up. I doubt I can get my hands on any over here, but I will ask our facilitator tomorrow. If nothing else I will try that as soon as we get him out of here.

Arizona mom to eight said...

I am sorry you are facing this too, it is difficult and scary. All I can get Amanda to eat is yogurt and strained or mashed fruit. I just make sure she gets three good meals a day and hope each day for more. She will not drink anything, so I put extra liquids in her foods, she is wetting enough fo rme to know she is getting enough, but I am stressed too. I understand why you are.

I think that once you have him he will adjust, be prepared for a lot of food to go to waste, we did a lot of trial and error here.

Meredith said...

Ok Kristy- I just want to say-- don't let your mind wander there! I know you've dealt with a whole slew of medical stuff in the past, but with these little ones you just have to believe that whatever their reasons are for their behavior, it WILL BE RESOLVED within a few months of coming home! God's got you there for a reason and although the going is tough sometimes, He's got you there to bring those babies home. You'll do GREAT with JP once he's home I have NO DOUBT! He WILL thrive in your care and he WILL eat! He may have a little infection or something now (Emma's had an infection since we met her in Ukraine-5 months worth) but eventually things will clear up and he'll be ok. Keep trusting, though I know that's hard! (((HUGS)))

Meredith

kristynewb said...

Thank you so much Kris. That helps a lot. I can deal with the face punching, teeth grinding, etc. It's the not eating and drinking that stresses me out and scares me.

I'm sorry that you are going through it too.

kristynewb said...

Thanks Meredith. :)

WheresMyAngels said...

I have not been to your blog in awhile and had no idea you were this close in the process. Prayers that everything goes well.

Andrea Roberts said...

Hang tight sister, it WILL all be OK!---Andrea