I haven't updated in a few days because we went to NC for Easter. Before I left the new home study agency sent me a packet of materials. One of the documents that we were supposed to sign and return was a post placement agreement. We didn't sign it because the country we are adopting from does not require post placement visits. Not to mention the cost of the post placement visits are going to cost us around $3,600. So I called West VA Dept. of Health and Human Resources and asked if we are required by WV to complete the 6 post placement visits within the first 6 months after returning home with the girls. I talked to the director over policy and she said, "no, not at all". She told me that the country that we adopt from sets the standards for post placement visits since the children are adopted abroad. I looked up the Title 78 that had been referenced in the agreement and it was for foster placements. It had nothing to do with international adoption. The post placement visits are for after foster children have been placed with an adoptive family BEFORE the adoption is finalized. Our adoption will be finalized abroad and the country we are adopting from sets the standard for post placement visits, according to the director of policy. The country we are adopting from requires post placement reports that are to be filled out by the adoptive parents.
So, basically I refused to sign the agreement and the social worker had the director (that I spoke to) write her a letter stating that the post placement requirements are set by the country where the children are being adopted from. But then she conveniently had her to add "unless the adoption agency or country requires post placements, then they are necessary". The letter was then forwarded to the home study agencies licensing specialist for review.
So I am waiting to see if they are going to come back and require us to do the post placements. I personally have a BIG issue with the state giving the individual adoption/home study agency the authority to require post placement visits. What is the point of creating legislation for agencies to follow if they are going to be allowed to make their own rules anyway?
As it is right now, she is planning on coming out this Friday & Saturday and will not require post placement visits, unless licensing tells her that they are required. I will not be paying for post placement visits unless someone shows me the state legislation requiring or authorizing them to do so. I'd rather take my chances on submitting our home study like it is, with a social worker's license, than pay $3,600 for post placement visits that are not mandated by the country we are adopting from or the state of WV! It's not right!
I emailed the Ukrainian Embassy to the United States to find out if we are required to have our home study backed by a child placing/adoption agency or if the social worker's license will suffice, since she works as an independent. They have a direct email for adoption information. Hopefully they will get back to me soon with an answer. I just found this web-site. I wish I had known about it a month ago. I was looking at the U.S. embassy to Ukraine and it basically said the same thing as the state dept. web-site. I think this will be a more accurate source. They should be able to call the SDA and get answers!
This is all such a money racket! All you want to do is give two children a chance in life and it is made near impossible to get anything accomplished!
We are still waiting on our 2nd set of state background checks. Our original social worker is going to call tomorrow to ask them what is going on.
Well, that's about it. Still messing with the home study issue. Trying not to get ripped off.
On a more positive note; we had a wonderful Easter. I got to spend time with my nephew and that was awesome! He's always a lot of fun! We played with bubbles and airplanes. We missed Chloe terribly, but are so grateful that she was safe in Heaven celebrating Easter with our risen Savior! Easter has never been more real or meant more to me than it did this year. We are so blessed to be adopted into God's family through Christ!
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Home Study, Post Placement Update
Posted by kristynewb at Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
Happy Easter. I'm sure GOd will work out all the details. WE are adopting a little boy off the Reece's Rainbow site too.
I hate that you guys are having to go through all of this, but everything for a reason, right? There is a delay on the Ukraine end right now anyway for submitting dossiers, so just keep chugging along and everything will turn out just as it should!---Andrea Roberts, Reece's Rainbow Down Syndrome Adoption Ministry
Post a Comment