Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Update on Passport















The passport did not come on Monday. It should have been here, but there was a technical issue involving the computer system in Simferopol. Apparently, Dasha's photo made it to Kiev, but her ID# did not. The passport printing facility in Kiev cannot print the passport without the ID#. It was printed yesterday after the ID# was received in Kiev. It is supposed to be ready for pick up down here tomorrow afternoon. I scheduled a flight out for me and Dasha tomorrow night. We will get to Kiev around 10:30. Then Thursday morning we will go to the Embassy to get the visa process started. Then we will go get Dasha's medical exam and check back on getting the visa. Last time we did the medical exam in the morning and got the visa the same day. Our newly scheduled flight does not leave until Saturday afternoon, so we will have time to get the visa on Friday if it doesn't happen on Thursday.

I was initially a little disappointed that we did not get the passport on time. I knew we were cutting it close and would have no time for error, but also knew it was possible. We got John Paul's passport in three days, flew straight to Kiev, had the medical exam completed, and received the visa all in the same day. So it is possible for it to go that fast as we are proof from John Paul's adoption! It was the exact same time frame that we were up against this time. We were very fortunate that there were no mistakes and everything worked out for us in July with John Paul! That was God's time table for us then and this time He has another plan. It just wasn't meant to happen for us this time, and that is fine. There were two other families that had the same issue with the passport and ID#'s. We weren't the only ones. Yulia told me the embassy has been giving visas out in the same day like they were in July, so hopefully there will not be any more delays with that. But I have an extra day anyway. We are on God's schedule and we will get home when He wants us to.

I prayed that if we missed our flight that the airfare would not cost us much more money. God gave me a big peace about it! I had Rick call and take care of changing everything from home. He emailed me back to let me know he had gotten the flight changed and that the itinerary would be emailed from Northwest soon. And then my eyes almost popped out of my head at what I read next! My ticket cost a total of $371.89 to change, including the penalty. Dasha's ticket was cheaper even with the penalty! They are crediting us $482.15 for her ticket! So basically we gained $110.26 for having to change the date! I was expecting to have to spend $500 in just penalties for both of our tickets to change the date + the price difference of the airfare. It never occurred to me that the price of the ticket would go down! I'm not sure how my ticket can be more and Dasha's less. Unless it is because hers is a one way ticket. Not sure how all that worked out, but thanks God!! That will help with the four extra days of rent we will have to pay. You know, a disappointment turned into a way for God to show me once again that He is at work in every single detail of our adoption and lives. I already knew that, but it is nice to have those reminders from time to time.

Dasha is doing great! She is into everything she can get her little hands on! lol! She likes to eat too! She is calming down some with the meal time tantrums, but still a little fire cracker! lol! She would not drink milk at first. So I bought some liquid cherry yogurt and mixed with her milk. She really likes that a lot! She loves bananas too! I cut it into small pieces and she eats it. She's been eating baby food also. Yesterday I cut up some beef really small and she ate it. She was REALLY happy about that! She kept laughing and smiling the entire time she was eating it. I don't know if it was because it tasted good or if it was because someone was finally giving her a chance to use her teeth! She was ecstatic about that beef though! lol! She's so sweet in general. I can just look at her and she will smile from ear to ear. She is such an angel!! I can't wait to get her home to play with John Paul! I can't wait for everyone at home to meet her!

Well, that is about all. We are just hanging out. I've been doing lots of laundry. She has reflux so that has kept me busy cleaning her, her clothes, my clothes, and the bed sheets. I've been covering the couch up with the sheets to protect it. That should be fun to travel with! :) I learned my lesson with John Paul though! Not only do they need an extra set of clothes on hand, I do too! He had a lot of reflux in the beginning. It is much better now that he is used to eating things other than orphanage food. Anyway, within 15 minutes from taking off from Kiev he spit up all over my shirt. Then on my other two connecting flights he gave me a brand new serving of it. Then we got stuck on the runway and they made us remain in our seats for an hour and a half. His diaper leaked on my lap! I looked like a wreck when I got to D.C.!! And I smelled like sour milk! Nothing like smelling sour milk for 16 hours. That was so embarrassing walking around like that! Oh well, it made funny memories! lol! Can you imagine what I must have looked like to Rick when he saw me walking up? lol! Hair all messed up, covered in barf, wrinkled clothes, red eyed from not sleeping good, and wreaking of sour milk! lol! This time, my carry on is already packed with one set of extra clothes for me and extra clothes for Dasha! lol!

Anyway, thank you all for your prayers! I really appreciate it over here!! :)

12 comments:

amyl4 said...

Kristy,
Dasha is beautiful!! Sorry to hear about the passport, but it sounds like everything is working out well. I can't wait to see all of you together!
Amy

Bethany said...

She is breathtaking!!! Praying you are home soon!!

JLH114 said...

I usually just lurk... but oh my gosh, that is the most adorable baby!! Honestly, Dasha is just precious. Congratulations!!!

Rachel said...

Dasha is so cute! I pray you have a safe trip home.

Kelly said...

I love pictures 1 and 10, i love all of them, but those two stand out as especially adorable. glad you are coming home soon!!

orphans4me said...

I am sorry to be laughing but your word picture of your arrival in the US is just too funny. (Well, I'm sure it wasn't funny then) Bless your heart!
Your daughter is gorgeous. and what a great story of reduced plane prices--that just has to be God!
Joy

Anonymous said...

Always love seeing how the Lord works things out!
Your daughter is amazing! Can't wait to see pics of the whole family united!
Always here praying!
Psalms 18:2-6 The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies. The sorrows of death compassed me, and the floods of ungodly men made me afraid. The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me. In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Kristen said...

She is so precious! PRAISE GOD regarding the ticket!

Debora Hoffmann said...

I praise God for how He's taking care of you. He gave you money back--amazing! And Dasha is darling. I'm glad she's doing well with you. Love the pics of her sleeping with her fingers interlaced. :-)

Amanda Jones said...

I LOVE the pictures! Dasha is beautiful!

I hope you have a quick process in Kiev!

Amanda
joneseeadoption.blogspot.com

Arizona mom to eight said...

Kristy,

I loved seeing her pictures, what a darling little girl you have, what a tremendous blessing to adopt our children, they are miracles.

I am relieved changing your flights was not as terrible as you thought it may be. prayers for everything to fall into place from this point forward.

Good thinking on the extra set of clothing for the flight home.

June Berger said...

She is absolutely adorable! What a darling little girl God has blessed you with! Praying for an uneventful journey home with Miss Dasha. God is faithful in all things, I'm glad the fares worked out to your benefit. I'm sure hair full of barf, pants full of pee, you looked beautiful to Rick! But I DO hope you don't have the same experience this time, ;o)

I love the pics of Dasha "praying" while she sleeps! I love them all, but those are very touching.