Everyone is back home from NC and we had a nice visit down there. I had to go down there sick though because I had to get John Paul home. I thought I had the worst of it behind me when I left, but I ended up feeling pretty bad while I was down there (cold symptoms). I only stayed two full days because I was sick and I didn't get to see everyone. We are planning to go back soon to visit a little longer so more family and friends can meet Dasha and see John Paul. I also had to get back by Monday because John Paul and Dasha both had doctor appointments. They both had vaccinations. :( John Paul had his first and cried until they took Dasha. Then he was very interested in what they were doing to Dasha. He was still whimpering until Dasha started crying and then he stopped crying and kept watching her. John Paul was fine after that, but Dasha cried for like 20 minutes. I felt so bad for her. Rick took them both out to the waiting room while I scheduled the next appointment. They were taking a long time to get me out of there so I went out and got Dasha who was still screaming and crying. Everyone in the waiting room was staring at her (not that I cared). By the time they finally got us scheduled Dasha had cried herself to sleep and was soaking wet from tears and sweat. Wow that was heartbreaking! I have never had a child of mine get so upset over vaccinations. I've seen other children get that way and heard friends talk about it. Dasha has such a cheerful disposition that I thought she would be like John Paul and Chloe and be smiling within 5 minutes. My little fire cracker was ticked though! lol! I don't blame her though I would have been too! lol! I hate needles!! We go back next week for more vaccinations. Next time I will not be so fortunate to have Rick with me. Also they both are having blood drawn for labs. That should be tough for all three of us! After all we went through with Chloe I have a difficult time watching children getting blood drawn while screaming and crying. I just saw so much of it with her, that it makes it difficult to see again. It brings back bad memories of suffering that Chloe went though. It's never pleasant to see your child get stuck with needles and being hurt regardless of what we went though in the past. It just makes it a little more tough. Last time John Paul had blood labs we both left crying. But we will get through it again! :) Prayers that they will get a good vein on the first stick for both children will be greatly appreciated! I already know that John Paul is a difficult stick (as was Chloe) and when they have to be stuck repeatedly until they are hysterical is what makes it so hard to see and deal with. I mentioned I HATE needles, but I would rather go through it than have to see them go through it.
John Paul's doctor appointment went well. He is in the 25th percentile for his height on the Down Syndrome scale and the 50th percentile for his weight on the DS scale. They said he is just a little over weight. I don't really agree with that though, but I will keep an eye on it to make sure he does not get too heavy. I just think he looks healthy right now. They did what I consider to be a simple evaluation of him and said that he is functioning on a 2 year old level. We are working on getting him into preschool soon. I wanted him to be at home and comfortable with us for a while before I sent him. Also, I didn't want to send him until we got Dasha home because he had to stay in NC. I mainly wanted to give him some time before we had him evaluated because I didn't feel it would be fair to him to have him evaluated as soon as he came home. He had a rough start in life and I wanted to work with him a while myself before I had someone evaluate him unfairly. I say unfairly because he had been caged up for four years. He has really flourished and I feel he is ready for preschool now and can spread his little wings. :)
Dasha, I think I mentioned previously, is tiny. She did not even chart on the DS scale. She is below the chart for both height and weight for her age. The doctor is concerned that she could have hypothyroidism. We will find out more after her blood labs. The doctor is concerned that if she has had hypothyroidism since birth that she could have irreversible mental retardation. They evaluated her at a ten month level. Dasha will be three in May. She weighs 17.6 lbs. and is 28 inches tall. I'm not really that concerned about it though. I see a lot of potential in Dasha. She is tiny, but mighty! lol! I don't think the doctors fully understand the environment that these children come from. But I am impressed with their doctor, I should say that. She is very knowledgeable with Down Syndrome and listens well. She spent a long time talking to us and it was a very productive appointment. We were unable to get her last time with JP's appointment and I am thankful that we have her now! They told us in Ukraine that Dasha has rickets, which also affects growth and development. Her dr. here did not seem to think so. They also told us that she has an ASD heart defect and the dr. at the medical exam before we left Ukraine told me she heard a murmur. Her dr. here did not hear a murmur. I am waiting for a call back to get her cardiologist appointment scheduled. The cardiologist that we use is great, but I really hate having to call an appointment line and then getting voice mail! I'm giving the until 4:00 and then I am calling back. We are going to get Dasha set up with Birth to Three for early intervention. I know due to her age that they will basically want to evaluate her and then transition her into preschool. I am not ready for that with her. Main reason is because she is so tiny! I wonder how that could be a safe environment for her. She wears a size 6 months if that gives you any idea. Imagine her mixed in with other 3 and four year olds that are size appropriate to their age. I just don't like it. And I don't think it is fair to her. She is basically like a baby right now. I am going to look into readopting her and having her birth year changed. I know we can't do that until six months after the original adoption date though. I'm really puzzled as to what to do with her. Praying about it a lot though. We'll see how she progresses between now and May, but as of right now I cannot see me putting her in preschool yet.
John Paul and Dasha have been playing together pretty well. JP will give toys to Dasha. :) Sweet boy! But then she will also take toys from him and he will cry. She also has a bad habit (that we are working on breaking) of pulling hair. I have to really watch her because she will climb up on him to a standing position and pull the top of his hair. Of course he cries. She's got quite the grip! She's hurt me too! Trying to teach her "no" as quickly as possible on that! He has started to push her away now some though. He isn't rough with her at all though. He just pushes her softly back. JP really as a gentle little soul. I was actually kind of glad to see that he was defending himself some. The first several days he just layed there and let her do it and cried until I pulled her off. I can't be there and stop it every single time. But all in all they really seem to like each other. Dasha is all over him and wants in the middle of everything he is doing! Sometimes he likes it and other times he gets tired of her and will get up and walk away from her to find something else to do. Typical big brother little sister scenario! lol!
I will post some pictures in the next few days. My memory stick does not fit in this laptop and the one that it does fit into needs to be set up on our wireless network. Right now we do not remember the password so Rick is working on getting that fixed.
Thank you all so much for your prayers and thoughtful comments. We really appreciate them a lot!!
Excuse any typos. Nap time is over and I do not have time to proofread right now.
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Updates from Home
Posted by kristynewb at Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





14 comments:
Cannot wait to see pictures of the kids together. So glad you are all home safe.
Christy
So glad to hear everyone is doing well - I'm sure Miss Dasha will be playing catch up with her growth! :)
Have you talked to an EI services coordinator about continuing EI in-home services after the 3rd birthday? Maybe it is just a New York thing but here we are able to choose whether or not we want to transition the child to preschool at age 3 or continue in-home services for one more year because they understand not all parents choose to start preschool at age 3 and they shouldn't be forced to just because the kiddo has special needs.
We do not plan to start preschool for either of our two until they are 4. Something to look into at least!
Know that I'm here praying!
Isaiah 43:1-3a But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour...
Prayer Bears
My email address
It's never easy seeing your child get shots or blood work done. I remember those days all too well with Shane having blood work done so often. The main thing that I remember about you is the shot that you got before starting kindergarten.
I had told you that it was for an exam only. I thought that you were caught up on your vaccinations, but you still needed one. I felt so bad.
Praying things will go good for all of you next week.
I feel John Paul is ready for preschool now too. He is making great progress.I MISS "MY LITTLE MAN".
I agree about not putting Dasha in preschool for awhile. She is much tinier than I expected. I feel that she will make great progress now that she is home with her family.
I love all of you and can't wait for another visit.
Mom
It is so difficult when you have to hit the ground running.
We are getting Amanda's therapy at home right now, but with budget cuts, who knows what may come to be? I know you likely know this, but Woodbinehouse makes wonderful books about gross motor and fine motor therapies for our kids, they have many books to help us, their parents help our children.
As always, we are keeping your family in our prayers. I am so happy your adoption journey is complete, i know the toll they can take on us, despite the happiness, the stress is remakable.
I am eagerly awaiting pictures.
My best to you, hug those sweeties for me.
kris
I have a little experience with hypothyroidism as one of my little Filipino boys that I worked with this summer was diagnosed with it. He does not have DS, but did have low muscle tone when I first met him due to the hypothyroidism. The doctors also said he could have mental retardation, but he has made amazing strides since he went on the medication and has pretty much made a complete 180. I am getting ready to post the latest miraculous update on him in just a few minutes. It is encouraging to know that God knows these little ones better than we do...and better than the doctors. Congratulations on having both of your beautiful children home.
Welcome home! Glad you are all back and together.
Kristin
Hope the next appt goes well...wish you didn't have to go there alone...
Stopping by to let you know I'm still here praying!
Psalms 69:13 But as for me, my prayer is unto thee, O LORD, in an acceptable time: O God, in the multitude of thy mercy hear me, in the truth of thy salvation.
Prayer Bears
My email address
I can't wait to see you guys and I'm so glad your all home safe. Post pictures soon!!!! love ya!
Dasha is such a little cutie! Is she attaching to you pretty well? I'm so sorry you had to fight being sick when you got home.
Carolyn
It is good to see your update. Wow! she is tiny! It will be great to see her progress.
Joy
Stopping by to let you know that your family is always in my thoughts and prayers!
Psalms 31:24 Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the LORD.
Prayer Bears
My email address
Welcome home! If Dash is anything like our Dennis, she will grow like a weed!
This one verse contains the whole core of Scripture. Praying!
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Prayer Bears
My email address
Post a Comment