While we are waiting for our I-171H approval from USCIS we are in the process of compiling our dossier. Our dossier is compiled of MANY documents that will be sent to the country that we are adopting from. This set of papers is what the officials will review to give us permission to travel and adopt from their country.
In case any one is unfamiliar with a dossier and what it consists of, I have listed below the documents that make it up. I thought some of you may be curious and it will help you to track where we are as we get the documents completed and notarized.
1.) Petition for Adoption (will have this notarized this Friday or Saturday, depending on Rick's work schedule.
2.) Adoption Home Study (We have this completed and notarized)
3.) Home Study Agency License (We have a notarized copy)
4.) Social Worker License (We have a notarized copy)
5.) I-171H approval form (We are waiting to receive this from USCIS, was filed 2-8-08)
6.) Statement of Employment (Should have by mid next week)
7.) Statement of Health from Physician for Both Parents (Picking up and having notarized tomorrow, if all goes well)
8.) Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate (We already have this)
9.) Copies of both of our passports, notarized (Getting this done tomorrow)
10.) Letters of Clearance of Criminal Records, Child Abuse Clearance (we had this, but the notary expiration date was 3-18-08. Had to have it redone, waiting on new copy (could take a few weeks) : (
11.) Letter of Obligation (having notarized this Friday or Saturday, depending on Rick's work schedule)
12.) Power of attorney (having notarized this Friday or Saturday as well)
After we get everything notarized I will be sending the dossier (minus the I-171H and CIB clearance) to our facilitator. He will review it and check it's accuracy and completeness. Once we recieve our CIB (background check) and I-171H, I will also send those to our facilitator. This will complete our dossier. Then he will send each document to the state in which it was originated to have an apostille applied. An apostille is a sticker that the state government applies that certifies that the document is certified. Crazy, I know!
Once he receives all of the documents back with the apostilles applied, he will then mail our dossier to the facilitator in Eastern Europe. He/She will then translate our dossier to the native language. After it is translated it will be submitted to the SDA for approval.
Then we will wait some more to get an official approval and travel date from the girls' country. We've been told that the travel date is usually 30 to 60 days in advance. So then we will have to wait another 30 to 60 days to leave to begin our adoption. I've also been told by our facilitator that it will probably be 30 days in advance since we are adopting special needs children.
The international adoption process involves a lot waiting, but we are praying that it will go fast if that is God's will. Ultimately, it's all in God's hands and it will all happen when he plans for it to. But we are doing everything in our power to make it go as quickly as possible! So far so good!! The only set back has been the CIB having a nearly expired notary. Not a big deal though, as long as they get it back to us within a reasonable time frame. The first time it took 3 weeks. If it takes 3 weeks again, that will be okay.
I'm planning on having all of our dossier documents complete, notarized, and Fed-exed to our facilitator (minus the I-171H & CIB letter) by mid next week. Then we'll just be waiting on those 2 pieces to come in. Please pray that the I-171H and CIB will arrive quickly!! I'm going to be traveling with Orphan's Hope and some of the other adoptive mothers to the girls' country April 11th-19th. I'm SO excited!! I'm going to get to meet the girls! I'm excited about the whole trip and meeting all of the children! The main purpose we are going is to offer humanitarian aid and to strengthen the relationships with the directors. It's going to be a really positive experience and I am thrilled to be going!! We are also going to ask the director to keep Nadia and the older children in the baby home until we can get back to adopt them. We REALLY don't want to see any of them transferred!! That's why I am REALLY wanting to get our dossier submitted by then! I think that it would show that we are clearly making an effort to adopt her (and Zhenya) and will be back as soon as we are given our date. I'm not sure if it's realistic to think that it can happen by April 11th, but I'm praying hard that it will happen! With God all things are possible, but I have learned that it MUST be according to His will. He knows what is best!
Please pray for ALL of the older orphans all over the world to find families before they are transferred. They really need to be rescued and deserve a life with a mommy and daddy that love them!
Thanks for reading our blog and for all of your prayers!!
Kristy
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Compiling Our Dossier
Posted by kristynewb at Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
Know that I'm praying about the adoption! It can be such a long hard process. I have friends who are trying to adopt three kids from Liberia. Oh it's been grueling! Praying that all goes smoothly for your family!
Those kids are just so adorable! Oh how I hope they get to come home soon!
Always keep your eyes on the Lord no matter what happens. Know I'm still praying!
Psalms 40:1-4a I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD. Blessed is that man that maketh the LORD his trust...
Post a Comment