Friday, March 27, 2009

Prayers Needed

We got the results back from their blood work. All of John Paul's blood results were fine.

Dasha had 15% atypical lymphocytes. We had her blood drawn again on Wednesday to check her CBC to see if the atypical lymphocytes were gone or had decreased in number. Yesterday her pediatrician called to tell me that her blood had not changed. She wanted to run it by a hematologist/oncologist to get their opinion on the next course of action. I asked her to call the group that we used for Chloe. She called me back to tell me that they want to see Dasha and that the hematologist office would be calling to talk to me and to schedule an appointment for Dasha. Dr. Perdahl (Chloe's hematologist/oncologist) called me back. She said that her other counts are within the normal range and that it could be something viral. She also said that Leukemia is usually not associated with atypical lymphocytes. Then she said, however, AML M-7 (Acute Myeloid Leukemia) is associated with atypical lymphocytes. This is the same diagnosis that Chloe had. She had AML M6 & M7. She gave me the option of scheduling a bone marrow biopsy first or checking her blood one more time and then scheduling the bone marrow biopsy a few days later if nothing had changed. I chose to have her blood checked again one more time (by the doctor) to be sure before I put Dasha through that. She has an appointment on Monday at 11:00 a.m. to have more blood drawn. Dr. Perdahl will be looking at her blood smear herself under the microscope to see what is going on. If she still has the atypical lymphocytes on Monday then Dasha will be scheduled for a bone marrow biopsy. We would greatly appreciate your prayers.

I did read that Rubella, measles, infuenza, and chicken pox can all cause atypical lymphocytes in the blood. Dasha had vaccinations for all of these a few weeks ago. I also read that immunizations can cause atypical lymphocytes. I told the hematologist that and she said it could be possible or that it could just be all that Dasha has been through. But to rule out the worst, I guess they will want to check her bone marrow for blasts.

They both are getting their hearing screened today. The first appointment is at 4:00 for John Paul and then Dasha will follow.

22 comments:

Shelley said...

Praying that the doctors are just being overly cautious and that it turns out to be nothing!

Anonymous said...

We are praying for your family. I agree with Shelly, that the doctors are just being overly cautious.
Peace & Prayer's
Jacki

Crystal said...

Praying that everything turns out that it was just a virus or vaccination that caused it. PBS!

Lund7 said...

I am going to keep your family and beautiful little Dasha in my prayers. Hoping it turns out to be nothing but I am sure with your history with Chloe, you are so worried.

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for Dasha. I'm also praying for peace for you while you wait.

Christy and Kevin said...

Kristy,
I added Dasha to our prayer list at church yesterday. Keeping her in our prayers here at home as well. Call me when you get a chance.

Luv ya,
Christy

liesel said...

Wow. Praying for you, Newbold family.

Liz said...

Praying for Dasha and for you too!

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you guys as we have become quite attached to you guys through your blog. We have been going through the 'her numbers aren't quite right' fiasco with our Preslie for almost 4 months now with hemotology/oncology, infectious disease and immunology. We FINALLY had a bone-marrow biopsy scheduled for Monday but now Preslie is fighting RSV and Pnemonia so we wait again til late April. So I pray you get answers soon, I pray it's something simple and that you don't have to go through this fight again...and I pray you all feel peace while you are going through it!

amyl4 said...

Praying for Dasha that it is nothing serious.
Amy

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Oh Kristy, this just breaks my heart that you even have to worry about this. We will be praying SO hard that it's just her immunizations causing this. If it helps, Frank had a TB vaccination when he was a baby and now he ALWAYS tests positive for TB. *sigh* We're holding you in prayer!!!

Zack, Jenn and William said...

Know that I'm praying for you guys as you wait for more blood work & results. Praying that God gives you peace as you wait, and that He heals any issues that exist in your sweet girl's body.

Jenn

Anonymous said...

Prayers and happy, healthy thoughts!

Karen said...

I'm thinking about you and praying for you Kristy. Praying for Jesus peace for you.

Anonymous said...

Know this has to be so scary for you right now. But Dasha IS in the Lord's Hands! He'll get you through whatever you have to face.
These words are so very special and full of comfort! Praying in Seattle!
John 14:1-3 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Arizona mom to eight said...

We are praying fervently for a simple explanation for her bloodwork results. Sending hugs your way. I am an email away if you need to talk.

Kris

Wendy's Mom said...

Kristy,
I have been following your blog for a few months now. I have to tell you that Dasha and John Paul are so lucky to have a wonderful Mother like you.
I am so sorry to hear that you are going through all this with Dasha and truly hope that it is just them being overly cautious and it turns out to be nothing except the a virus or the vaccinations. I can only imagine what is going through you mind right now. Please try not to stress out to much until you know more. I am keeping my fingers crossed that maybe it was the vaccinations that caused it. After all she has never had them until now so maybe it is just her body taking time to adjust to them.
Please keep us posted as soon as you can.

I will be keeping all of you in my prayers.

Love a blogging friend,
Sheila

Rachel said...

I will be praying for your family and especially Dasha.

Nancy said...

Oh, that precious little one! I am praying in CT! Will ask for prayer tomorrow at church, too!

Blessings...Nancy in CT

Christina said...

Hi Kristy...I have not visited your blog in a very long time. I was lead here by Renee's blog. I am praying for your family and especially for Dasha. God Bless you all!

Unknown said...

thinking about you and the little ones, praying that the results tomorrow are normal. I'll call in a few days to touch base, I know you had questions about shoe inserts for Dasha...but I also know that right now you have more important apppointments/worries. Trudy

Jenny said...

Praying that evrything will be fine. We are thinking about you.