I know it has been a really long time since an update and I apologize for those of you that have been waiting. I am also grateful for your patience in continuing to check in on us. Things have been going good. I unfortunately don't have their birthday pics to put on right now. I have misplaced the CD and will have to get a new one from my mom. However, I do have some summer pics that I will add below the post.
John Paul is back in Pre-K and is loving it. He has missed two days this week though because he and Dasha have both been sick. I will send him back tomorrow though as it will have been over 24 hours since he ran a fever. They both still have some nasty lingering congestion. Dasha had to go to the E.R. again on Sunday because of labored breathing. This happened once before right after she came home. Any time she gets a cold I am on pins and needles watching and checking for fevers and rapid breathing. She was a preemie and has some lung issues and is prone to pneumonia. We are hopeful that this will get better as she gets older. Anyway, this time we were told that it was not pneumonia. They said it appeared to be something viral and she did have a lot of congestion in her lungs. It's difficult to tell when she has congestion because she doesn't cough and with her nose running so much I figured it was coming out of her nose and not going down her throat to make her cough. The whole ordeal was scary because when she took went down for her nap she was fine, but when I went to get her up she was breathing heavily. By the time she got to the E.R. she was wheezing badly and her chest was sinking in with each breath. They gave her a breathing treatment, some antibiotics, and some steroids. She seems to be feeling a lot better now, but she still isn't 100%.
I have decided to send her to Pre-K as she turned three in May and is old enough to go. Initially I was scared that it might be dangerous for her because she was so small and not walking. But she has really grown since Feb. and I think she will really benefit from being in school. Also, it is the only year that she and John Paul will be able to be in the same class together. Here's the big news...she has started to take some steps! She took eight steps last night!!! That has had me on cloud nine ever since. :) She's going to need some support to really get going though. We had her hips x-rayed and she does have some slight dysplasia. The doctor doesn't feel it is significant enough right now to require any treatment. She wants to monitor her and check back in six months. She's hoping that as Dasha starts walking that it will improve. She also gave us a prescription for SMOS and I am really excited that we will be getting those for her soon! The PT didn't want them for her because she felt she might become dependent on them. Chloe rolled one ankle and had SMOS, but I have never seen anything like what Dasha does. She literally stands on her ankles and her little feet turn out like a duck. The orthopedic surgeon felt like Dasha not having the SMOS was only keeping her from being able to walk. Hopefully she will be able to wear them to get going and her feet will improve when she does. Between her hips and ankles it has been an obstacle for her to walk. I'm so proud of her that she has started taking steps in spite of it all. She's a very determined little girl! :)
She is doing quite a few signs. She is a dancing, signing queen! Her favorite is "eat". She loves to eat! lol! She knows the following now...eat, drink, milk, cat, baby, mama, daddy, stand up, banana, cracker, cereal, all done, potty, car, bird, juice, water, bath, wash hands, more, and hat. I think that's all of them. John Paul has gotten a lot better with signing now from watching Dasha. She has really helped his communication skills a lot. And he has really helped her physically. They both want to do what the other is doing and they mimic each other a lot. They are so wonderful for each other! They really love each other too. Some times when I am driving I look in the rear view mirror and they are holding hands or one is rubbing the others arm. So sweet! And JP is such a good big brother. He is always trying to help Dasha do things. :)
John Paul has started to bite and chew some!!! Some days he will totally refuse to bite or chew, but other days he does good and doesn't protest as much. And a few times he has found it all to be funny and cooperated. lol! So far he has chewed banana, gummy dinosaurs, cheerios, and a grape! I cried and cried the first time he bit the banana and chewed it. That has been about a month ago. It has taken so long and we have both tried so hard to get to that point. It was definitely a moment to rejoice!! I'm so proud of him! I mentioned he has gotten more verbal. He has said, "bye", "yeah", "no", "bud (for bird)" "mama", "nana", and "da". I think he might be trying to say Dasha.
I guess that is about it for now. I'll be adding more recent pictures. These are from April to June.JP checking out Dasha eating Cheerios. He had already eaten btw.
And then he noticed the camera. lol!I walked out of the kitchen to find this, Dasha asleep using the laptop as a pillow.
John Paul decided to imitate her and get his picture taken too. Aww! :)
JP and Dasha sleeping at my brother's house during a NC visit.
This pic is dark, but so sweet.
This was the next morning. This is the back of Dasha's hair. I took it after she came over to the couch to harass me (I mean make sure I was awake).
So, mommy is awake. Time to wake John Paul up. And how does she do this? By pouncing on him. Poor John Paul.
John Paul says, "What just happened?" Dasha says, "mission accomplished."
John Paul looks like he is thinking, "Why was that necessary?"
Guess I'll get up.
Sweet angel face
Speaking of sweet angels.
Dasha signing mama.
Dasha signing daddy. She signs it off the top of her head instead of her forehead. Too cute.
In April or May at my brother's house
In May at the Mountain Heritage Arts and Crafts Festival in Harper's Ferry, WV
John Paul is watching the Blue Grass band that was playing.Rick carrying JP off from the Bluegrass band. He had been dancing, but it was time to go home.
Same festival - smiling sweetie
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
The Latest Scoop and Pics
Posted by kristynewb at Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





7 comments:
They both are doing so good. They both have come a long way since coming home. I am so proud of them, and I love them more than words can express. Can't wait for another visit. Love all of you,Mom
They are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing...I love to see these precious angels home with their families!
Love, Paula "Bella's Mama"
Thank you for this update!!The kids are just beautiful.I mean really and truly beautiful.They are growing and flourishing and you can see how absolutely happy and joy filled their life is.Love all the pictures.Especially the one of Dasha asleep on the laptop!Zoey has SMO'S.She has SURE STEP'S.they were developed by a dad who has a child with Down syndrome and I have heard nothing but fabulous things about them.Zoey is a far way off from standing but we have had them a couple months and her ankles are so much better.I think you'll really see a difference in Dasha once you get them.The great thing is that they don't have to be casted either.So wonderful to pop in and see your blessed life unfolding.A big thank you to your mom who continues to be a faithful follower and prayer warrior for our little love.Enjoy all your moments with your little miracle babies.
Thanks for the update!!!!!!!!! Sounds like things are going well except for the sickness. Hope they're both back to normal quickly!
Continuing to lift up prayers!
Psalms 94:17-19 Unless the LORD had been my help, my soul had almost dwelt in silence. When I said, My foot slippeth; thy mercy, O LORD, held me up. In the multitude of my thoughts within me thy comforts delight my soul.
Prayer Bears
My email address
Thanks for updating, Kristy. I love reading about your kids and watching them grow and change.
Praying as always!
Psalms 55:22 Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.
Prayer Bears
My email address
Awww, they are so cute together! Thanks for the update Kristy, I love seeing your children!!:)How blessed you are!
Amy
Post a Comment