Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Update and Pics





She'll kill me for this one day! lol!!





Peek-a-boo!

This is what I found when I went to do laundry. JP decided Mr. Elephant needed a bath!

I'm a big boy! I can feed myself!
Is that Dasha or Elton John?

Dasha in pursuit on my pant's legs!



John Paul and Dasha are both doing great! John Paul had his evaluation for Pre-K last Friday. His eligibility meeting is on April 27th. I'm pretty excited about that for him. He really enjoyed visiting the kids in the Pre-K class while we were there. He also loved seeing the big kids in the hall way. Two little girls both looked at him and said, "Aww he's so cute." My little heart breaker. ;) We had a situation with the school psychologist that did his evaluation. It was quite unpleasant. I won't get into all of the details, but outside of the fact that she was rude and unknowledgable, she was trying to deny John Paul a full year of Pre-K because he turns 5 in May. She kept telling me that "it is against the law" for him to go to Pre-K in the fall and told me he would be placed in the moderately impaired Kindergarten class. I was ticked! So I researched "the law" myself and also had some friends send me more of "the law" and found out she either lied or didn't know "the law" as well as she thought. After all he has been through, he deserves a full year of Pre-K and by law he IS entitled to it until he is 6 years old! I had to make a complaint and it looks like he will be going to Pre-K in the fall. I will not stand for any other placement and the law supports it. We've entered the school system for the first time with a bang, huh?!
Last post I mentioned that they both had hearing screenings later that day. They both had great results and are hearing within the normal range.
John Paul is doing really well with his potty training. He is holding it for a long time now. He's signed potty a few times when he needs to go. And he has just gone to the bathroom doorway a few times and stood until I asked him if he needed to go. He is starting to be able to get his pull up or training pants down by himself. He needs a little help getting them back up though.
JP looked at me this evening with a little grin and then signed bird and cat for the first time! That was the sweetest! He is getting a lot more vocal since Dasha arrived. He tries to imitate her sounds and she imitates his. Dasha said, "mama" for the first time tonight!! She has said, "mamamama mama mamamama mama" many times, but this was the first clear "mama". It made me tear up. After she did it I said, "YAY Dasha, you said mama" and clapped for her. After that I kept saying mama to try to get her to do it again so Rick could hear her. Every time I would say mama, she would clap for me. lol!! Too cute! She did end up saying it again really clearly, but Rick missed it again. Then John Paul walked by and I said, "John Paul, Dasha said mama. Can you say mama?" He giggled and then said, "NNNNNana" really loud. He does say mama too. :)

I have been putting Dasha on the potty too even though she is so tiny on it! lol! She understands what to do when she is on it though. She doesn't let the fact that she can't stand independtly or walk hold her back when she is finished either! She leans over and bear hugs the pedestal sink and pulls herself up. She did this today while I was grabbing a diaper from the closet beside the bathroom! lol! A few days ago John Paul heard me telling her to "pee pee in the potty". He came flying around the corner and pointed his finger at the potty with an authoritarian look about him and said his version of the word potty. It was so funny! Dasha just looked at him like she didn't know what to think. He picked that up from me because he likes to get off the potty and close the bathroom door so that he can run around in there and play rather than use the potty. Sometimes I have to sit him down and tell him (while tapping the potty with my finger) in a firm voice to "pee pee in the potty and don't get up until you are all done." I guess he thought I needed some back up with Dasha! lol!! They are something else together.
Dasha is getting stronger. She is crawling all over the place! She has even learned to crawl all the way up the stairs by herself, with me behind her to make sure she doesn't fall of course! She has learned to walk behind her push walker by herself on the hardwood floor now. She was able to push it on the carpet about a week after she got here, but the hardwoods required more core strength and balance. She has that mastered now! She is a little go getter! She is into EVERYTHING! It is so nice to see though! She can get on and off the couch by herself too. She figured that out right after she came here. She saw John Paul doing it and the next thing I knew she was doing it too. It looks bizarre seeing her do some of the things she does because she is so little. She wears 6 month and some 6 to 9 month clothes. She stood for 4 seconds today with out any support. That was awesome! She likes to crawl over to you and grab your pants to pull herself up and then if you walk backwards, she will hold onto your pants and walk forward laughing and giggling the whole time. She is so happy to be up and moving. Bless her heart, she's just been waiting for someone to give her a chance to get around! She's a very smart little girl. She grabbed the hair brush tonight and started brushing her hair. John Paul likes to brush her hair too. And he is so gentle with her when he does it. It's so precious! I need to get video of it. The other day JP was brushing her hair and she started crawling off. He chased after her and kept brushing her hair! It was hysterical to see.
John Paul is really coming alive even more since Dasha came home. He seems to really enjoy his big brother role! He loves his little sister. He is always trying to help her. If she is climbing then he will grab her hand and pull her up. If he is behind her then he will push her up by her bottom. If she can't figure a toy out then he will stop what he is doing and show her how. What ever she is doing he is always there to supervise and help out when needed. lol! He's such an angel! they both are!

31 comments:

grammygwen said...

I love the new pics. I am so proud of them. Can't wait to see all of you. I love you.
Mom

Anonymous said...

THey are 2 beautiful little children. So glad they are adjusting well...but how can't they...they are finally loved so much! Glad JP got into Pre-K even if you had to fight...go mom! Such sweet children!

Kelly said...

They are both so cute. Looks like you have your hands happily full!!

Wendy's Mom said...

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures with us along with an update.
I am so glad that things are going so well with Dasha and that things went well with her Doctor Visit last week.
They are both absolutely adorable. They are so very lucky to have such a wonderful loving home to be in. Of course now the potty pictures well you might want to HIDE them from Dasha, for she might one day pay you back somehow. LOL!! She is really cute though, and she is progressing pretty fast. Before you know it she will be walking every where. LOL!!
As far as JP's schooling. I am glad you got it worked out and that Counselor or whatever she was had no idea what she was talking about. Lots of parents have chosen not to start their bioligical kids in PreK or Kindegarten for a year later than what is the normal. So I cannot imagine why a child like JP could not do it. That lady just really ticks me off. It sounds to me like she just looked at him being DS and a slower learner and did not really care what is best for him. I am sure she does not understand his whole background but that does not matter! Every child deserves the right start in life!!
Thank GOODNESS JP and Dasha have a Mother that is willing to fight for them, and not just take what anyone says. Even some biological kids are not that lucky!

How is the eval with Birth to Three going for Dasha? I know you mentioned you were worried about it. I think (not that what I think matters much) with her being so small and also behind her age that it is a great idea of you getting her birth year changed.

Have you thought about doing that for JP as well? If you did then they could not deny him being in pre K. LOL!! But just being able to go ahead with PreK is probably just as well.

Are you going to dress them up for Easter Egg Hunt on Sunday? If so please share some pictures with us!! Oh how I would love to dress Dasha up in a cute little outfit. I bet she is a lot of fun to dress up. LOL!! I know JP is a cutie too but little girls are so much fun to play dress up with. LOL!!

Will be looking forward to another update!

Happy Easter!

Love,
Sheila (a blogging friend)

Rachel said...

Your kids are so adorable!

Christy and Kevin said...

I love the new pictures. Love the one of Dasha on the potty with her legs sticking straight out,lol. JP is doing so well with his eating and is getting to be such a big boy!!

Christy

Brandy said...

They are both too cute. I love reading updates about them. They have both come along way since getting to their forever home.

Lynn said...

Thanks for the update. Sorry you had such a hard time with the school. So many have problems getting their kids the help they need!
Praying!
Psalms 28:6-7 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.
Prayer Bears
My email address

amyl4 said...

Oh I LOVE the pictures of JP and Dasha! They are so adorable, and I can imagine how sweet they are together!!
Amy

Arizona mom to eight said...

I am so happy to see new pictures and read your update! They both look so happy and healthy. They are so adorable, just gorgeous!

I suppose there has to be a person like the psychologist in every school (sigh) why do they try so hard to pull things like that?

Anonymous said...

This is very long but on this day of all days it's worth reading in it's entirety. Know that I'm always praying!
Isaiah 53:1-12 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Anonymous said...

Praying right now!
Isaiah 40:28-31 Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding. He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Prayer BearsMy email address

Anonymous said...

He died that we might live! Praying hard right now!
Hebrews 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
Prayer BearsMy email address

Heather said...

Haven't been by in awhile.I think since Dasha has been home.so sorry.Life with Zoey is keeping me on my toes.Then put in the mix of the others and well ... hectic.The kids look beautiful and are growing and thriving in boundless ways.How blessed you all are.I hated to hear that you had a scare with Dasha.No parent should have to go through that ,ever and especially twice.Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers and we look forward to watching your little loves continue to grow healthy and strong and with those amazing smiles fixed on their beautiful faces.

Anonymous said...

Praying right now!
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Prayer BearsMy email address

Anonymous said...

Know that I'm here praying!
Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
Prayer BearsMy email address

Anonymous said...

Praying that the Lord will always be with you no matter what the future holds.
Isaiah 43:1-3a But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour...
Prayer BearsMy email address

junglemama said...

Hwo beautiful the two fo them are! They are doing awesome! Thans for sharing.

Anne said...

hi, I am a friend of Andrea's from Georgia and I now live in Colorado. I am a huge supporter of RR since the day Andrea thought it up and follow many of the blogs. Both of your angels are so beautiful, just sweet little faces! I am also writing about the school situation you had with John Paul. That is frustrating and the school psch. should KNOW better and be more informed. Here in Colorado Springs, we have an organiaztion called Peak Parent center and they are there to solely help with IEP's, school issues, anything to help the parent with the tricky stuff. If you have such a thing where you live, you should utilize their services. I am the proud mother of a almost 4 year old with DS, named Joshua.. As a matter of face, him and Reece share a birthday and Andrea was my first friend with a child with DS after I had him.. I pray all the time my husband will want to save one of these angels, I would get one in a heartbeat!
Take care,
Anne Ross
anno007@msn.com

Anonymous said...

The Lord knows everything that's going to happen in the future and is already working everything out. Praying!
Jeremiah 29:11-13 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
Prayer BearsMy email address

Anonymous said...

Know that you're in my thoughts and prayers!
2 Samuel 22:2-3 And he said, The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour...
Prayer BearsMy email address

Anonymous said...

Stopping by to let you know I'm here praying!
Romans 15:13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
Prayer BearsMy email address

CJ Field said...

Your children are so beautiful! Would you be interested in participating in the T21 Traveling Afghan Project? We would be honored to have you!

http://thet21travelingafghanproject.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Kristy: So sorry that you had a bad experience with the school system, but it sounds like you are making it right! I called to check on you and Dasha a couple weeks ago...Jenny had asked me to. let me know if there is anything I can do. The kids are so adorable. I love reading the blog. Trudy

Anonymous said...

Know that I'm here praying hard right now!
Psalms 23:4-6 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
Prayer BearsMy email address

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine anything more comforting than knowing that the Holy Ghost Himself is prying for you!
Romans 8:26-27 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
Prayer BearsMy email address

Anonymous said...

These verses are so comforting. Continuing to pray!!!!!!!!!
Revelation 21:1-4 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Prayer BearsMy email address

Kelly said...

they are such cute kiddos!

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a fantastic Mother's Day!
Know that I'm here praying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Psalms 91:3-4 Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence. He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
Prayer BearsMy email address

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day!!!!!!!!!!
Continuing to lift up prayers!
Psalms 91:14-15 Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.
Prayer BearsMy email address

Jenny said...

Your little ones are just so adorable.